Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lucky Me

This past week the squadrons here at Langley did a special deal for the spouses where we were able to go up in a KC135 and watch our husbands refuel. I've seen an F-15 refuel a few years ago and that was awesome. I remember being glad that Trav wasn't flying that day so he could watch the kids and I could go watch the refueling. Then I remember seeing some of the wives actually get to watch their husbands refuel and talk to them and thought that it might be quite amazing. This time my friend Candie and I traded with watching each others' kids so we could both go on different days. My experience couldn't have been more perfect. I almost don't even feel like it happened now, so I'm glad I took pictures. Above is actually Candie's picture of the KC135 from the front. This is where the boom is that they get gas from, and the window that the boom operator (and in our case, the wives) looks out of.
Erin and I before the flight. We were incredibly lucky. There were originally 10 jets flying, and only 2 ended up being able to fly, and people were nice enought to make it our husbands. And since it was just the 2 of us (so surprised there weren't a lot more), and an OB Dr from the clinic, we got to monopolize and not having to split time watching.


Me laying where the boom operator lays.

We are 28,000 ft in the air waiting the the guys to come, and the boom operator let us practice moving the boom around. He promised I couldn't hurt it. I totally felt like I would brake the thing, though. Or accidently fire a missile or something (no, they don't even have missiles, but pushing buttons that I don't know the function of makes me nervous).

This is Erin in the cockpit on the take-off. I was in the cockpit, too, a little further back.

My first sighting of Travis. This was the coolest moment.

Getting closer...



On the boom...Getting lots of gas...I mean lots...

Done getting gas.

About to fly away...

Flying away...


So then they went and did lots of cool things which we didn't seen and were back in not time for a second refueling...


So we got to wear a headset and everything to hear what the pilots, and Trav, and the boom operator were all saying and I could talk to Trav anytime I wanted. What to do say to your husband at 28,000 ft in the air, with everyone listening in? And for some reason I didn't want to break his concentration. That's a pretty crazy way to get gas!

Isn't he incredibly good looking?

Done getting gas. This time the 135 pilot told Trav to go to the right and front of the plane, wait just a minute (for me to run up front), and then do something cool for me. If all the other jets had been flying at the time, they couldn't have done that. It was amazing.

Here he goes...


And because of the delay, I took a picture too early and it was all over by the time it reset itself. It could have been a much cooler picture. Or a videocamera...yeah, that's what I need next time!

And the timing of everything couldn't have been any better, because just after we landed and got out of the tanker, the guys were ready to land and we watched them land and taxi.


I need to find a way to thank everyone who made this possible. It was so much fun. And I realize Travis has a pretty cool job, but it was really something seeing it from that point of view.

5 comments:

moaspen said...

Sooooo cool!
~shiloh

Marian said...

wow, ang. that's awesome. i'm so glad you got to do that!

Julianne said...

You did such a good job of taking pictures! I just got to do this, but I didn't take near as many pics. You made it so easy for everyone to understand how it works, where you were sitting, etc.

April said...

That's awesome, too bad it was a KC-135 instead of a KC-10! ;)

April said...

PS we might be moving to Virginia beach this summer for school!