So I was domestic for a minute. My friend told me about wanting to try this recipe to make her own detergent. I looked it up and we decided to go in together to buy some of the ingredients, and gave it a shot. I have done more than 10 loads of laundry so far with it and it seems to work as well as any we have used, is way more environment friendly, and way way cheaper than commercial detergents. Click HERE for the recipe that I used if you are curious. I posted the video to show the consistency of it before the second dilution. From what I understand it is supposed to be gelled and chunky like that. You could wisk it, or Rebecca said she read you could use an electric mixer to smooth it, but it works fine this way also. This is how is stores in the 5 gallon bucket and then I mix it with half this, half water in a smaller container to use. That means I made 10 gallons of laundry soap for about $2. Crazy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I love stuff like this. What a great idea to have all of this stuff for "storage" too. Is it easy to find the washing soda?
I'm going to have to try this! I'm wondering about the washing soda, too. What is that? This recipe would be great to have in case the flu pandemic gets really bad and we don't want to go to the grocery stores. Thanks for sharing!
I am excited to try this !! thanks !!
last night i showed this to Jimmy and he thought it was swell. I'm thinking of trying the powder kind since it seems like less work. I wonder if it works as well?
Oh - and I must have read this too late at night because for most of the night I was dreaming about making laundry detergent. Maybe I'm really supposed to do it!!
I wished you lived close by too. Though then you'd realize what a dorko I am! :)
Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it when my homemade powder kind runs out. Way to be green! Does Travis approve of it?
~shiloh
Post a Comment