Friday, December 5, 2008

Sharptooth

I don't remember any of my kids being like this. In fact, Micah hasn't done it until just recently and it may be just a fluke--but he is biting and pulling on me and hurting me, and it makes me impatient with everyone around me who is making noise and distracting him, and even impatient with the innocent babe who looks at me blankly or laughs if I act upset with him. I'm not sure what to do. Even when he is not biting, it feels uncomfortable and sore to nurse lately. And he has no idea what to do with a sippy cup or bottle. You put it in his mouth and he thinks you are playing a funny joke and bites a little and just starts laughing. Is something wrong with him? He also is not really taking to solids anything like his brothers all did. We've been trying for about a month, and sometimes he will surprise me and down an entire jar, but usually it's 2 or 3 bites before we give up. It'll be interesting to see if he doesn't ask for food all the time like his brothers. Unlikely--he does want to nurse all the time, and he is still a Passey boy. . .

5 comments:

mom2four said...

I have 2 bits of advice for you. When my kids bit while they were nursing I would stop nursing them and put them on the ground everytime that they did. It made them mad but it worked. The second Tyler and Ella would not eat baby food at all. He might be like them and not like the consistancy of it. I fet them thicker things like real oatmeal and real mashed potatoes. They wanted big people food. They would not eat anything that was too mushy. Maybe you can try that. My kids also liked pasta noodles. Anyway it may or may not help. But it is worth a try.

Diane said...

Angela - Matthew refused to nurse one day (and then the next 2 days) in October. I weaned him. I couldn't deal with the pain of his teeth anyway. When I would try to nurse he would bite me and so we were done! Try big people food with Micah - peas, noodles, pancakes or bread torn up, those awesome puffs you can buy that just melt. (the yogurt ones are good too!).

Also, my kids never did well with real sippy cups. We just buy the ones that have a white plastic lid and open spout (first years makes them) and the stuff comes out as soon as you put it in their mouths so they have to drink from it.

Just what we do... Sounds like he has decided to make things hard for you. Good thing he is so cute!

Melissa said...

I definitely think you should put him down if he bites. Tell him "no" first, remove him from you then walk away. I never did it only because if I got bit, I unintentionally yelped and it scared them to not do it again. But I've heard that can help.

Don't push a bottle-we did that with Ava. You'll have another entry labeled "Traumatizing your children" if you do that. Along with that, let him play with the sippy cup and he'll eventually get it. Juliet JUST got it last month----at 13 months. It took her FOREVER!

And go with the suggestion of real food. Can he feed himself finger foods yet? I forget how young he is because he's such a big boy.

Good luck!

April said...

You know Andrew didn't really care for jar food either so I bought one of those baby food griders put what we were eating in it and he loved it! Man I don't miss those days at all! ;)

Suzy said...

Wow - am I the only one who flicked them softly on the cheek? It worked for me. But setting them down and walking away sounds like a good one too.