Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Exploding Diapers. . .

Seriously--why are people so in love with huggies. I remember using huggies with Noah until he was probably 12-18 months, and they suddenly started leaving those gooey crystals on his batooty and we tried Luvs and have never used anything else (except for when I am convinced we can save money and buy the generic brands and then Trav and I vow to never do that again). But Luvs are great and hold everything in and are way less expensive than Huggies or Pamper (I really like Pampers. . . ). Any, we just got a Costco membership (whoohoo, we have never lived close enough to a Costco at a time we thought it would be worth it)--I decided take a couple of long trips there by myself and not buy anything, but just price everything so I could compare it to Walmart and the Commissary and from here on out I can know what to buy where. I remember some people telling me diapers are cheaper at Costco, and the price per diaper is cheaper (they have Huggies) than Luvs. I like the way Huggies fit to snuggly and stretchy, and I did the math and it was less than one cent more per diaper for the Huggies (so I guess it would be less with a coupon). I decided what the heck, I'll buy a huge box. Everyone rants and raves about Huggies, so they must be the best.

So that night before bedtime, I put Micah's first Huggies diaper on him. The next morning (Sunday morning, just before church), I started to change him to get him dressed, and opened up his PJs to find Huggies diaper crystals exploded everywhere. And to add to the mess, he had done his morning load and that was all mixed in to. I didn't even know where to start and had to lug him into the bathroom and clean him up in the tub. All the while I wondered what I had been thinking--did I not remember this was actually why I switched to Luvs? I guess I thought I had done it for the price. . . So I am wondering if Costco lets you return diapers--we have used a couple of them since, but I just make sure to change him often and put the Luvs on him at night. Does no one else have this problem? Is it something in my kids' urine that just doesn't like huggies? Aaaargh.

13 comments:

:) said...

Not a big fan of Huggies either. But, I do like the Target brand of diapers. If I would let myself, I would totally buy Pampers. Glad your move is over. Are you all unpacked?

Nathan said...

...he had done his morning load...

yup, that's a passey boy! YOU GO MICAH!!

:o)

Heather said...

we really like luvs too. Every time we buy store brand, I regret it and can't wait until they are gone. We've had those crystals with huggies too. I think costco is pretty good about returns but I don't know about open packages. I would try it because diapers are so expensive.

Melissa Voss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa Voss said...

I do not like Huggies. Not only does Braden get those gooey crystals but he manages to pee all up his back every time he wears one... even when he was tiny. I haven't tried Luvs. I'm lucky and get my diapers for cheap through the hospital so I get pampers. I really like them.

Suzy said...

Costco is usually great about returns. If you take it back I'm almost positive that they will refund it.
-suzy

Melissa said...

I don't know about Costco letting you return them, but you could call and ask.

I like Luvs too, but only buys Huggies or Pampers if I have coupons or get deals from CVS that makes them cheaper than Luvs. The huggies do leave a bit of those little crystals on Juliet's toosh, but not a lot, and its usually if she's had the diaper on long, like overnight. I think all kids bodies and excrement are different, therefore the differing opinions on diapers. Adn I will say, I've never found a store brand I like.

THE JACKSONS said...

Believe it or not I have not had problems with Huggies. I actually tried the store brand diapers and my kids developed rashes. So I went back to Huggies. I like Pampers too, but they tend to be pricier than Huggies. I'm not a huge fan of Luvs because they don't fit my kids right and sag like crazy in the crotch after only one use. While I have had the a few blow outs, it's rare. As for the crystals, I haven't noticed it too much, or else it just doesn't bother me. Imagine that, not bothering me....LOL, with my OCD problem. I think it just varies from kid to kid.

Diane said...

Costco WILL take them back. I have taken diapers AND wipes back that have been opened and used. They are awesome that way. Don't feel guilty - they won't mind. They are so nice about it.

Nathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JaNae said...

I don't like Huggies either. I like to save money, however, Aubry's bottom is too important to me, so I stick with Pampers. I haven't tried Luvs though. Maybe I should try now that she's a little older. Of course, after this bout of diarrhea, I'm glad that I have Pampers, because she hasn't had any blowouts.

Anonymous said...

for my first child, a lady made this cool "cake" out of diapers. Neat looking, but they were huggies, and I couldn't take them back, so I was stuck with them, and I hated them. Same problem, plus it seemed like pee somehow seeped through the front of the diaper, and his pants always felt wet! I like Luvs, and oddly enough, I like store brand (I usually get Kroger from Smith's). But I have found a trick--I put him in his normal size in the day, and at night I put him in one size larger (so 3 during day, 4 at night). Seems to hold at that nighttime pee... and occasional morning poo... Good luck!

Chellayne said...

Sorry about the diaper dilemma, but I do believe Costco will return them. I have only used huggies from the hospital. I don't like Luvs with my kids they've never worked out and we just feel secure and confident with pampers, so we pay the price and love them. Good Luck.