Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day of School

I know the first day of school is supposed to be a little nervewracking, and some kids handle it better than others. But Noah has been complaining about the short summer and not wanting to go back to school since the day school let out in June. It seems way too early to decide to not like school and it makes me so sad. I agree with him that the summer sped right by us, but come on, this is fun and exciting, and he won't have to tag along on every boring shopping trip and errand ("but mom, I like doing those things now, I don't even care") and I don't have to beg him to be nice and play at the gym while I exercise ("no Mom, I decided I like it there, too), and have quiet time every afternoon when Micah is napping and I decide maybe I also require a nap. This is so much funner, especially since I have not made the last month of their summer nearly as fun and exciting as I had hoped and planned. Anyway, Noah had a few breakdowns this morning while getting ready for school, telling me why he would rather stay home with his mom and brothers. At one point he even flipped out about Math...."Mom, I saw the homework Connor was doing, and it was really hard. All kind of division and things I just don't know how to do!!! How am I supposed to do that?" How can he not understand that not one person around him will know how to do those things before the teacher shows them, and then it will be fun? He is just not used to being challenged and not already knowing the things being taught in school, and that has not done him any favors, because starting this year he really is going to learn new things. I am so glad of this, and think it will only help him to like school better, but at the same time he does flip a lid if he ever comes across a challenge. Anyway, he moped on the curb while waiting for the bus and I forgot to even get pictures of him and Kaden before school! I made sure to get them after though, and it's a good thing, because Noah's face was quite a bit better for pictures by then. ("But Mom, the it's never the first day or the first few days that school is bad, it's later, like somewhere in the middle that I don't like it...") Sigh.

Here comes the bus... My 3rd and 1rst grader...as they come out of the bus.

Kaden running to give my a big hug. I hope he does this for a lot longer. Noah stopped last year, but Kaden knocks me right over. His first comment was "That was the best school day EVER!!!" I was really worried about Noah rubbing off on him this morning, but he'll be all right.

First Grade!

Does this look like a boy who doesn't like school? I forgot to turn the picture though! I'm hoping for the best!

2 comments:

Julianne said...

Levi is the same way with the beginning of school. It's hard enough to have them go away for so long...and to have them be unhappy is torture! He has settled into it though and is doing better. I'm sure Noah will too.

moaspen said...

The beginning of each year is so nerve wracking! I love looking at your blog periodically and watching your family grow.