Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My best friend

Oh my. The times I have the hardest time keeping record of our lives is when there is so much to say and keep record of, and I fall so behind and don't know where to start, and therefore do nothing. Very sad indeed.
I mean how could I not make some sort of note or entry at least somewhere close to our 10 year anniversary? It's been 3 weeks now, and that is a big deal. But when time is short, the task is overwhelming to try and express my feeling and happiness, and awe of how quickly 10 years can fly by when you are with the most amazing husband ever. We were clearly remembering when we first got married and tried to speculate where we would be and what we would be doing 10 years from then. And we blinked, and here we are.
I know it sounds corny, but I remember back when we were engaged and every conversation with other people was about marriage and full of advice. It was sometimes discouraging because from what most people told me, we had to enjoy that honeymoon stage while it lasted, which would be for about 2 years, and then it was all downhill from there. I was such a romantic and wanted to really be in love and be one of those old couples I saw in the street holding hands and gazing into each others eyes still.
But it's true that you see couples who are married for 40 years even and then they get divorced and those stories devastate me. But they are good because they really reinforce the fact that your marriage is alive and living and needs constant nourishment. And with that, you can look back to those first 2 years and realize that you didn't even know at the time what it was to love someone. That love can really grow in so many ways.
And that's all I'm going to say about that, because now I'm embarrassed. I am just so grateful for the man I married and for the years we have had together. Here's to many more decades, with each better than the last?....

2 comments:

Julianne said...

Happy Anniversary!

Candie said...

I agree with you, Angela. I had the same thing told to me many of times when Matt and I got married. (Why is it people are so negative anyway?) But I look back and see that it's just getting better and better. Beautiful post...you should not be embarrased at all. You get a big "Amen!" from me! :O)