Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Van gone haywire

So I went to the post office today to mail a couple of packages. Just a simple little trip. I couldn't find our normal key with the little remote thingy, so I had the spare which is just a key. I have used it plenty of time before, but today, my van decided to go crazy. We mailed our packages, got into the van, and put the key into the ignition, and suddenly our van started honking wildly at me, I'm sure reporting that I am a horrible stealing person to all around me. And it wouldn't stop! I turned the van on, and the honking raised a pitch. I turned it off, locked and unlocked the doors, turned it on again. Everyone walked past us and stared--I may have just abandoned it and pretended it wasn't ours, if that didn't mean getting 3 kids out and taking them...where? So it let me put it into gear and I slowly drove out of the parking lot and into a less public place, and tried to decided if I dare drive the half a mile home like that on a busy road. Then suddenly it stopped. But there was a blinking light and I had a suspicion that if I opened the door or tried to start it, it would start all over again. Then I decided to get out of the van, lock it, and unlock it with the key. As I opened the door, it started honking again, and I locked myself out, unlocked it with the key, and walla! Twenty plus minutes of humiliation, but at least I didn't get arrested...Usually my embarrassing moments these days always are due to certain children.

7 comments:

Marian said...

yikes! that would have been a little flustering. i'm glad it finally decided you weren't trying to steal it.

Julianne said...

Ha! I knew mailing that package would be a pain in the neck! :) My van alarm goes off randomly all the time...20 min. sounds like an eternity.

I still need your address!

Melissa Voss said...

It sounds like your anti-theft went haywire. How embarrassing. We went to Yellowstone and John left the keys in the ignition. Suddenly it locked itself. Luckily the windows were rolled down, especially since Braden was in the and we don't have a spare, but anyways so I pulled up on the lock and the alarm went off. We did however have accesss to the remote and could just turn it off. Crazy things!

THE JACKSONS said...

That's funny! I hope you don't think I'm laughing at you. By now I'm hopefully laughing with you! I just have this mental image of you driving the van down the street while the horn is screaming! LOL! Did the kids think it was funny? My boys would have gotten a kick out of it no doubt! So do you think it will likely happen again or was it just a one time thing? Anyhow, I'm glad you weren't arrested!

Chellayne said...

Sounds awful and frustrating..Glad to hear you made it through. Good to be updated with your news. Wer'e back online ans starting to update too.

Marne said...

I would have been frustrated too Angela. I agree...usually the kids help with moments like that!

Send me your email address and I will invite you to my private personal blog!

marneclark@hotmail.com

moaspen said...

how crazy and random! I know I wouldn't be laughing if it happened to me but it is kinda funny!
~shiloh