Saturday, October 11, 2008

House Hunting

So we thought we had decided to buy a house when we get to Virginia, and both Trav and I were getting excited about it. Every single person we new who had moved to VA had bought a house, so it seemed like it must be the right thing to do. So we have spent hours pouring over all the different choices and trying to find out the best areas and schools in half way affordable areas. Then this financial crisis hit, and we started to wonder if it would be the smart thing after all. Yet anyone we ask seems to still say it’s a good time to buy—but really can anyone tell you it’s a bad time to buy, especially when people need to buy houses to stimulate the economy and frankly, for them to have a job and do well at it? Travis is actually in Virginia right this moment looking at houses with Chuck, our realtor, and looking into rental options and checking out the base housing (we haven't heard much good about it, but sometimes we are pleasantly surprised). I am really hoping he will get a strong impression of what the right thing for us to do is. We are waiting for the really smart people in our lives to tell us what the smart thing to do really is. . . could that be any of you?. . . It will be such a relief when we have decided once and for all.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I wouldn't say I qualify as a smart person, but if you are going to be in VA for awhile, I'd buy. That is a fabulous area and the market has no where to go but up. When we bought our house in MD, it was awful to buy. You paid more than they asked and you had no time to think or your house was gone. When we sold, the market was starting to go down, and we still were able to sell and make money on our house. It should be the opposite scenario for you I would think. If it's in the budget, I'd buy. There is also something to be said for being house poor. It's no fun to own a house if all your money is going to your house and you can't afford to do anything! It's a happy medium. Good luck! Do you need any VA advice? Ron and I have some friends we could put you in touch with. They actually just bought a huge house. Shawn, the hubby, is a very smart financial man. Anyway, if you want, I could shoot you their email. Take care!

Johnna said...

Angela, I got to your blog from Chellayne's. I can't believe how big the boys are in just a few months!!! Oh my goodness I miss Noah so much, please tell him for me. I have read all your blog to catch up on y'all and I am so proud of Noah. He reminds me so much of Ashley...old souls they are. We are all settled in (well we're here anyways...there's lots more work!)North Carolina and we love it here. I completely understand the question of whether to buy a home or not. We went throught the same thing when we got to Idaho, had planned on buying and were really excited but when we got there we just never really felt settled about buying even when we found a house we all really liked alot and it was definitely what WE wanted to do. It was weird. But we decided not to buy it and it turns out that things happened that we just couldn't foresee and it was definitely the hand of God guiding us not to buy at that time. Dont' know if that helps at all...in a nutshell, I would advise that if either or both of you feel unsettled about buying at all, then don't because that is the Spirit guiding you. You will both feel peace about it if the Spirit is guiding you to buy. That is the only thing I know for sure.
Mike and Ashley say hello. Later Gater,
Johnna