Friday, July 1, 2011

Thoughts on gums, babies, and trials...

Today as I was sitting in the chair at the periodontist (if you don't know what that is, you are lucky)...I was trying to go to my happy place and use relaxation techniques I used with labor. It wasn't working and I tried instead to just think of everything possible except for the scraping going on in my mouth and the big headache I was going to soon have (which would be right now). At first I guess I started thinking about labor because I had tried to use the same techniques, and then I thought I would much rather go through labor than this, and then I decided to lay there and try to remember my labor and all these thoughts were going through my head. There is so much that I wish I would have known from the beginning when I had my babies. With every baby I had a better labor than the last, until finally with #5 I actually looked forward to labor, and it was a profoundly spiritual and amazing experience for me. I wanted to go right back and do it again (but not the pregnancy part...uh...no).

It took me that long to have the right mindset and not to be afraid, and I am positive that affected how long and hard the actual labor was.

I say I wish I would have known more from the start and had the same goals and knowledge, and I know people who start out more prepared, but I guess for me, I needed previous experiences that prepared me (and the experiences of those around me), and each time I learned and discovered something that helped make the next time better. So imagine if I had 10 babies how great it could be. (I'm kidding!--I cringe to think how my body would break apart with another pregnancy). And I really can't imagine it getting any better from Taryn's labor.

Anyway, I am sure no one else can see the connection, but I started to compare it to our trials making us stronger and more capable and closer to our Heavenly Father. He gives us these things to bless us and mold us. He knows what we can be and He knows how to get us there. As we put our trust in Him and give the control over to the one who knows what's really going on, we are tremendously blessed and strengthened, and better for the next time. How grateful I am that I am not alone, and that God knows me so well and knows what is best for me--and that He is in charge instead of me. How wonderful is that?

So thank you Mr Periodontist, for helping my heart be filled with gratitude this day and hopefully doing wonderful things to my teeth and gums so I can keep them awhile despite the utter misery.

2 comments:

Marian said...

so sorry about the periodontist appointment, but it made for a beautiful blog post. i'm so glad we both had such wonderful labors with our last babies - our only ones that were so close together. it made it that much better. sure love you!

THE JACKSONS said...

I go to the dentist, but I've never been to the periodontist and after reading this blog post, I thank my lucky stars I've never had to go. Sounds down right miserable! YIKES!!! I too am grateful for my trials and challenges, through them I have learned to have greater faith in the Lord and also to have more compassion and empathy for others. I will say though that I would never have chosen my trials for myself, be that as it may, I know the Lord knows what's best for me and also what I'm capable of enduring. Thank for your beautiful thoughts. Sure miss you guys!