One day I was looking at different chore systems on the Internet and came across this video telling me about the "Accountable Kids Program". As I watch it I got so excited, thinking this could actually work for us and once I put in the initial work and details, it would run itself and not need me to keep up with it as much. But it was also very pricey. For me, if it worked, it would be worth the price, but I would have to convince Travis of it as well. A little more tricky. And who knew if it would work?
As I made Trav watch the videos, he mentioned that he could just make the chore boards, and it would be much cheaper, so I started pressing him about that and trying to come up with the same sort of cards that they have for their program. I hope I haven't committed some felony of copyrighting things, etc. And just before Travis left for a 5 week tdy, he whipped these things together and they turned out so well!
It took me 2 more weeks, to get around to helping the kids all decorate them how they wanted and get the cards all set and ready, so we could start, but we finally started 3 days ago. I realize we are completely in the excited novelty stage, something new and fun. And in a couple of weeks we are going to face challenges and the excitement will wear off, but just for these 3 days alone--it's worth it! We will fight through it all later, and it will be fine. My kids came down the first morning, so excited to see what their chores are. They are excited to help and want to be an important part of the family, but they just don't know how. This makes it so easy for them. Without me saying a word, or having to remind each kid to get dressed or brush teeth, or put their pull-up in the garbage, it all got done and in an amazingly efficient and fast manner.
Ammon is the most excited about it. He has been bouncing around frantically doing chores and asking for more chores for 3 days straight. Jumping up and down when he earns a "ticket", even though so far he doesn't want to even use the tickets to do fun things. He just wants to look at them and do more chores. And when threatened to lose a ticket, almost any tantrum (okay except for the one yesterday at the library) melts into a smile. He's excited to go to rest time every day, because that's one of his chores. And excited to clean his room afterwards. It is amazing!
My downstairs is still a bit chaotic and out of order--but it's because of me and isn't being added to. And the upstairs (the boys' bedroom), is SO much better. At bedtime I don't get frustrated with the toys all over the floor, and the dirty clothes aren't piling up on their floors. And suddenly we have more time for fun! Anyway, I am so excited and the pictures about show what the boards look like....And how happy Ammon is about them. Micah's board is just a place to store extra card right now, so eventually I'll have Trav make a board just for that purpose. If you want to know more about the program, you can look at http://www.accountablekids.com/ or go HERE to watch the video.

4 comments:
a 5 week tdy? for reals? that's long. those boards are so cute, and i love the whole idea. do you think trav wants to make me some when he gets home? :)
Love it!!! I am totally like you guys... that I start a chore system and it doesn't work for long. We were kindof on track until I had Truman and everything sunk. Just this week I tried a new chart which I have yet to hang on the fridge.
I really like the idea of this one you shared. I think especially for my Abraham it would work so well. He is very visual and likes to check things off (or move cards). So - did you just make your own cards or did you buy some of theirs. I think I might try this during the summer if I can get it made by then. That's so cool that Travis can make neat boards like that. You'll have to let us know how it works long term for your family.
I think I've found that I just have a hard time keeping it going because everyone bombards me at once with tasks they need help with. I've decided all their tasks have to be independently accomplished since I don't have 10 arms to help. I like their privilege card idea too. We have been making the kids clean their room and the play room before they play the wii and it has helped tremendously to have things more tidy. Anyhoo... I've babbled on. But I'm glad you shared this... it helps me realize there are so many good things to teach the kids about being accountable... stuff I want to teach, but can't figure out how.
oh - so here's a question... Abe is a very Order specific person. So on his chart he thinks he has to go in order. And sometimes our day changes... like some days we get dressed first and some days we have breakfast first - or whatever. So - with this chart it really would have to be done in the order right? Since they have the morning, afternoon, night cards?
oh wow - who's the wacko with the eternally long comment up there!!!
also... I like the idea of the extra chores thing if you are willing to pay them. Are you doing that? I've thought about having tickets or money to buy things from a family store. My kids never earn enough money to buy anything of worth at the real store. One of my friends would buy things and put a price tag on that had to do with their ticket/point system. So they could choose to save for a larger item, etc.
anyhoo... another long comment. sorry!
i llke the idea too. I'd love to make my own. Did you just make your own cards then? Was that hard? I'd like to know if it continues working for you. neat angela!
Post a Comment