Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Picnics and watermelons

I love nice days--it always seems too hot, too humid, too buggy, or something (or am I too picky?) Anyway, I was out watering plants today and realized it really wasn't all that hot. So we have taken advantage and the kids have been outside all day. I love it. Ammon has worn those goggles on his head for 2 days now. It looks so uncomfortable...and hot. They have constant water condensation dripping down the lenses.

We have been searching our watermelon plant and finding cute little watermelons starting. They are all about the size of a penny. But our friend was here the other day and exclaimed because she had spotted a big melon hidden in all the vine, this about 7 inches diameter. I don't know how we missed it, because we search almost every day--it's so exciting to watch! Anyway, upon further investigation we found 3 more about the same size. It's the coolest thing ever. To prove that I am definitely not bragging, I should mention that our poor garden spot is suffering. We got 4 good zucchinis before that one bit the dust, the pumpkins don't look like they'll make it, nor the peppers or tomatoes. We got a couple of cucumbers and about 7 beans. But it does look like we might at least get some nice carrots soon. And tons of tomatoes from the pots. And the watermelon in that spot has the watermelon on it that I took a picture of awhile ago, which may also not make it....it's a little warped and hasn't been growing very quickly. Oh well.





3 comments:

Heather said...

i, for one, am seriously proud of your cute watermelons. That first post about them was so funny because I thought you had a gynormous watermelon until i saw it next to your hand. How cute and tinsy they start out! I'll be curious to see how they turn out in the end. Half of our garden is doing okay, and the other half is wilting. It's fun to try with it all though. Hope you are doing well!!!

Heather said...

oh - and the entire goggle thing is really funny... especially with all the water condensation.

Katie said...

Congratulations on the watermelon it is always nice when something comes out of the garden. Ours is struggling this year I think the season started kind of late.